Call for applicants now open: December 17, 2018 – March 5, 2019
Full-time programme for 1 academic year (60 ECT credits) in English.
The Master of Multidisciplinary Research in Experimental Sciences is a joint academic programme of the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of UPF (DCEXS, UPF) and the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST). The programme offers highly flexible and personalized hands-on research training in a multidisciplinary research environment.
In addition to the research aspect, the master’s will also develop talented scientists through experiential training in professional skills such as scientific communication, project management, responsible research and innovation.
The participating institutes are:
• Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
• Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)
• The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
• Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ)
• Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2)
• Institute for High Energy Physics (IFAE)
• Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona)
• Department of Experimental and Health Sciences (DCEXS)
The master’s programme offers 16 competitive fellowships to outstanding candidates. These fellowships are merit-based and awarded by the Masters Selection Committee.
Fellowships cover tuition fees and a living allowance based on the country of origin of the applicant:
11.440€ (5.240€ tuition fee, 5.000€ living allowance, and 1.200€ mobility)
9.020€ (3.420€ tuition fee, 5.000€ living allowance, and 600€ mobility)
8.420€ (3.420€ tuition fee and 5.000€ living allowance)
Fellowships are received in monthly installments throughout the Major Project (10 months). All applicants are eligible and no further application or documentation is required to request a scholarship.
Further funding options are offered by some BIST centres. For more information, visit the centres’ websites or contact the MMRES Academic Office at email@example.com.
The programme is aimed at candidates who intend to undertake a PhD or pursue a research career in fundamental science and technology. The programme is open to candidates who hold a degree in health sciences, engineering, computer sciences or degrees in basic scientific disciplines (chemistry, physics, biology, or mathematics).
Through the programme, students will acquire the following skills:
• basic skills and knowledge needed to carry out advanced and interdisciplinary research projects in one or more of the fields of research
• the ability to acquire, in an independent manner, the knowledge and the practical skills currently necessary to respond to the demands of an open and complex environment which is based on knowledge
• the ability to work effectively on complex research projects in a multidisciplinary environment
The programme is based on experiential learning through work on selected research projects and the supervision of group leaders from a large variety of research areas offered by the BIST research centres and the Department of Health and Experimental Sciences of UPF . The available areas of research are listed at the bottom of the BIST Research page.
Application period: From 17 December 2018 to 5 March 2019
Candidates can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the admissions process and/or the master’s programme.
To apply please visit the UPF website.