Introduction to the vacant position:
The Nanobioelec Group (www.ibecbarcelona.eu/nanobioelec) is looking for an FPI pre-doctoral researcher associated to the project “High-throughput autonomous multiparametric Scanning Force Microscope for applications in life sciences and medicine” (PID2022-142297NB-I00, BIOMEDSPM4.0). The objective of the project is to develop an autonomous high throughput multiparametric functional scanning force microscope to access simultaneously the morphology, electrical and mechanical properties of living cells at the nanoscale. To achieve it automation and artificial intelligence techniques will be incorporated. The potential of the microscope will be demonstrated with the high throughput physical multiparametric nanoscale phenotyping of cancer cells and with the characterization of nano-drug carriers, such as liposomes and polymeric nanoparticles.
This fellowship is associated with the research project Generación de Conocimiento, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
The training and research plan for the successful candidate involves:
• Initial and advanced training in Atomic Force Microscopy, Electrostatic Force Microscopy and Force Spectroscopy for nanoelectrical and nanomechanical characterization of biological samples, such as living cells and/or liposomes.
• Sequential and correlative structural, mechanical and electrical AFM characterization of cancerous and non-cancerous human cells.
• Collaboration, with the rest of the research team, in the development of an autonomous multiparametric functional AFM system enhanced by Artificial Intelligence.
• High throughput simultaneous nanomechanical and nanoelectrical studies of human cancer cells and identification of novel physical cancer phenotypes for medical diagnosis.
Requirements for candidates:
• Bachelor (BSc) and Master (MSc) on Physics/Engineering/Biomed and related fields.
• Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme on December 2023 (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degrees by October 2023 are eligible to apply.
• Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
• Candidates must have a good working knowledge of English.
• Candidates must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
To apply for this job please visit ibecbarcelona.eu.