The workshop, organized by IBEC in collaboration with BIST, aims to provide participants with an accessible and comprehensive introduction to visualize your scientific ideas and help your audience effortlessly grasp the essence of your research.
PhD students and postdocs.
There are 10 slots available for IBEC and 14 to be distributed among the other BIST centres (maximum 24 participants in total).
The workshop is interactive and hands-on. Participants are required to submit their figures in advance and we will comment on a selection from these materials and seek how to improve them. In a graphical abstract drawing exercise everybody will sketch their own research and get feedback from peers.
The workshop will cover:
- Communicating with scientific vs non-scientific audiences
- Visual perception and what we find intuitive
- Colours: how to amplify, not ‘fancify’
- Visual organization: how to structure to simplify comprehension
- Eye-flow: effortlessly guide the audience through the design
- Typography: how to create legibility, structure and aesthetics
- Visual consistency: how to make multiple figures follow the same style
Dr. Jernej Zupanc, Founder of Seyens Ltd. PhD researcher and Postdoc in computer science at University of Ljubljana (2006-2012). He also worked as Head of computer vision at a startup for five years and was a Horizon 2020 External Expert Evaluator for business and innovation support programes. Now, his primary focus is training and consulting. He runs workshops for PhD students and postdocs in Europe, US and Asia, and consult on business communication and grant writing (Horizon 2020). https://www.seyens.com/
In case you are interested in attending, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 14:00h on August 20th including your supervisor in copy.
After receiving all the applications, we will contact you for notification of your acceptance and further details.